Here is Dartmouth’s 2018 commencement by the numbers: from the awarding of more than 1,900 degrees to the expected attendance of 11,000.
- Arts and Sciences, Undergraduate: 1,146 Bachelor of Arts
- Frank J. Guarini School of Graduate and Advanced Studies: 247 total; 108 Master of Science, 22 Master of Arts, 36 Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, 81 Doctor of Philosophy
- Geisel School of Medicine: 77 Doctor of Medicine, 70 Master of Public Health (including 28 students from the new online MPH program)
- Thayer School of Engineering: 89 Bachelor of Engineering; 53 Master of Engineering Management; 2 Master of Engineering; 3 Master of Science (Engineering Sciences); 17 Doctor of Philosophy (Engineering Sciences); editor’s note: the MS and PhD in engineering science degrees conferred by Thayer are also included in the total of Guarini School degrees conferred.
- Tuck School of Business: 288 Master of Business Administration
- Total degrees awarded: 1,972
Estimated size of audience: 11,000
Where seniors come from:
The undergraduate Class of 2018 hails from 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. The most represented states are New York, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New Hampshire.
International students come from 32 countries; the most represented are Canada, the United Kingdom, the People’s Republic of China, and the Republic of Korea.
Most popular majors for the Class of 2018:
The most popular majors for the Class of 2018 are economics, government, computer science, engineering sciences, and biological sciences.
Valedictorians and Salutatorians:
The valedictorians are Hae Lin Cho ’17, Katherine Clayton ’18, Nicholas Norwitz ’18, and Jean Zhou ’18. Norwitz was selected by the faculty of the College of Arts and Sciences to deliver the valedictory to the College at the ceremony.
The salutatorians are: Julie Becher ’18, Caterina Florissi ’18, Arielle Isaacson ’18, Kevin Kang ’18, Hung Duy Nguyen ’18, and Jonathan Rost ’18.
Phi Beta Kappa:
The Alpha of New Hampshire Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa at Dartmouth inducts 126 undergraduates as new members in ceremonies held Saturday, June 9.
The chapter also inducted as an alumni member William Barker ’68, former president and vice-chancellor of the University of King’s College, Halifax, Nova Scotia, emeritus professor of English.
The chapter also honored the 22 undergraduates inducted in November.
William Platt can be reached at email@example.com.