Thirty-two professors across Dartmouth have been promoted, with several also granted tenure, effective in most cases on July 1.
Faculty are evaluated for promotion and tenure in three areas through a rigorous evaluation process: research, teaching, and service.
“These scholars are leaders in the classroom and are also conducting research that benefits society and the pursuit of knowledge across a wide spectrum,” says Provost David Kotz ’86, Dartmouth’s chief academic officer. “I congratulate our colleagues and look forward to their many continued contributions to the Dartmouth community.”
This year, 15 faculty members in the Arts and Sciences were promoted, including 10 professors who were awarded tenure. Their promotions were approved by the Board of Trustees and took effect on July 1.
The following Arts and Sciences faculty members were awarded tenure and promoted to associate professor:
- Jeremy Ferwerda, Department of Government
- Bing He, Department of Biological Sciences
- Yi-Hsin Liu, Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Justin Mankin, Department of Geography
- Ainsley Morse, Department of Russian
- Carey Davis Nadell, Department of Biological Sciences
- Caitlin Hicks Pries, Department of Biological Sciences
- Kevin Wright, Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Miya Xie, Asian Societies, Cultures, and Languages Program
- Additionally, Associate Professor Pamela Voekel, Department of History, was also awarded tenure.
The following faculty were promoted to full professor:
- Treb Allen, Department of Economics
- Alexander Chee, Department of English and Creative Writing
- Trica Keaton, Department of African and African American Studies
- Annabel Martin, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
- Chandrasekhar Ramanathan, Department of Physics and Astronomy
At the Geisel School of Medicine, 14 professors received promotions, including two with tenure. (Tenure at Geisel requires a full professorship.) They are:
- Krzysztof Bujarski, to professor of neurology
- Ellen Flaherty, to associate professor of medicine
- Ida Leah Gitajn, to associate professor of orthopaedics
- Marnie Halpern, to professor of molecular and systems biology with tenure, effective Jan. 1, 2023
- Michael Herrick, to associate professor of anesthesiology
- Deborah Hogan, a professor of microbiology and immunology, was appointed the Thomas S. Kosasa Professor at the Geisel School of Medicine
- Louis Kazal, to professor of community and family medicine
- JoAnna Leyenaar, to professor of pediatrics and The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice
- Eric Loo, to associate professor of pathology and laboratory medicine
- Sarah Lord, to associate professor of psychiatry
- Ryan McCool, to associate professor of surgery
- Todd W. Miller, to professor of molecular and systems biology with tenure, effective March 6, 2023
- Meredith Sorensen, to associate professor of surgery and medical education
- Bjoern Suckow, to associate professor of surgery
- Weiyang (Fiona) Li has been awarded tenure and has been promoted to associate professor of engineering. Li will continue to hold the William P. Harris Career Development professorship.
At the Tuck School of Business: