As the search is underway for a new provost, the advisory search committee wants to hear from community members about what they hope to see in Dartmouth’s next chief academic and fiscal officer.
On Wednesday, Sept. 22, the committee will host three hour-long community listening sessions:
- For staff: 10 a.m. in the Kreindler Conference Room (room 41) in Haldeman Center
- For faculty: 4 p.m. in the Kreindler Conference Room
- For students: 5:45 p.m. in Collis 101
The sessions will be led by committee chair Russell Muirhead, the Robert Clements Professor of Democracy and Politics and chair of the Department of Government.
The search to replace Provost Joseph Helble—who left Dartmouth to become president of Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa.—began over the summer. Since July, David Kotz ’86, the Pat and John Rosenwald Professor in Computer Science, has served as interim provost.
The provost reports to the president and is charged with elevating Dartmouth’s academic profile and—in consultation with the academic deans—with supporting and advancing the teaching and scholarship of Dartmouth faculties and schools. In addition, the provost is responsible for supporting and advancing all student-related programs, has significant fiscal oversight, and works closely with the executive vice president to manage the academic budget.
The search committee is working with the search firm Isaacson, Miller. In addition to Muirhead, members of the committee are:
- Lee Coffin, vice provost for enrollment and dean of admissions and financial aid
- Shontay Delalue, senior vice president/senior diversity officer
- Odette Harris ’91, Dartmouth trustee and professor of neurosurgery at Stanford
- Connie Helfat, senior associate dean for research innovation at the Tuck School of Business
- Laura Hercod, chief of staff, Office of the President; secretary to the board of trustees
- Will Huang, Tuck ’22
- Steve Leach, director of the Norris Cotton Cancer Center
- Rick Mills, executive vice president
- Nina Pavcnik, the Niehaus Family Professor in International Studies
- Anastasia Perez Ternent ’22
- Laura Ray, senior associate dean of faculty development at Thayer School of Engineering
- Enrico Riley, the George Frederick Jewett Professor of Studio Art and chair of the Department of Studio Art
- Peter Roby ’79, interim director of athletics and recreation
- Xia Zhou, associate professor of computer science